About page

Any issue in a divorce that involves money can be a point of contention between divorcing spouses. During and after divorce, there may be a specific amount of money that is paid by the spouse with higher income to the spouse with lower income. While some states refer to this as alimony or spousal support, in New York, it is called spousal maintenance.

Spousal maintenance is not ordered in every divorce. However, it is in your best interests to discuss the possibility that you are owed maintenance or will be expected to make payments with your attorney. At the Suffolk County office of Campagna Johnson, P.C., we put our vast knowledge of family law and divorce matters and more than 25 years of experience to use when handling spousal maintenance as part of a divorce. Whether you are owed or are going to pay maintenance, our firm can evaluate your situation and determine the best approach to take with your goals and needs in mind.

Temporary And Permanent Maintenance

New York law establishes a specific formula through which the amount of spousal maintenance is calculated. While you may be able to complete an estimation of this amount through online calculators, the most effective way to ensure you are getting what you are owed or are only paying what is necessary is to have a lawyer at our firm on your side. Our attorneys educate clients on temporary maintenance, which is paid during the divorce process, and permanent maintenance, which is paid after the divorce, and the situations in which these two types of spousal maintenance are terminated.

Spousal Maintenance By Private Agreement

It is important to know that you do not have to automatically go by the state-set formula for spousal maintenance. Parties may move forward with their own agreement as to how much each payment will be, as long as both parties are in agreement. If there is any disagreement, the statutory formula will be used to calculate payments.

Talk Through Your Options With A Spousal Maintenance Attorney

Call our Hauppauge, New York, firm at 631-615-1871 or contact us online now to schedule a consultation.