Skilled New York Child Custody Lawyers
Child custody is one of the most contentious issues that can arise from a divorce. If you need legal assistance resolving this issue, either through settlement or litigation in court, you should be represented by a law firm that exclusively devotes its time to family law matters.
Campagna Johnson Mady, P.C. has devoted have more than 30 years of legal and courtroom experience in the practice of divorce and family law. We have extensive knowledge and legal skills that let us thoroughly address and effectively and resolve your child custody and visitation matters.
Child Custody and Visitation Matters
Child custody is broken down into two categories:
- Legal custody is the right and responsibility of making decisions about the child’s welfare, education, health, religion, and other important matters.
- Residential custody is where and with whom the child will mainly live.
Custody may be awarded to both parents, as in joint custody, or to only one parent, known as sole custody. Courts do not favor one parent over another; decisions are based strictly on what is best for the child.
Divorce or Post-Divorce Child Custody and Visitation Disputes
In New York, child custody is determined by courts based on what is in the best interests of the child or children involved.
In deciding each issue, the court considers many factors, including:
- Who has been the main caregiver
- The parenting skills of each spouse
- The physical and mental health of the parents
- How parents cooperate with one another, and whether they encourage the child’s relationship with the other parent
- Issues of domestic violence
- The work obligations and parenting plans of each parent
- What the child’s preferences are (if they are old enough to have a reasonable opinion)
Campagna Johnson Mady, P.C. will help you to clearly understand your legal options and find the best course of action to resolve your dispute.